A 10-day short detention order was the price Lee Yew Nam, 45, manager at Encore E-Services had to pay when he was caught hurting and abusing his intern.

According to The Straits Times, Lee was sentenced to the short detention order – implying, a community sentence that carries no criminal record – on April 1 after he admitted to four charges of causing hurt to Calvin Chan Meng Hock, now 32, at his Jurong Town Hall Road office in 2013. Two other charges were taken into consideration.

Lee, who was allowed to defer sentence until April 8, could have been jailed for up to two years and fined up to $5,000 per charge,” The Straits Times wrote.

Before Friday, defence counsel Sunil Sudheesan and Diana Ngiam had said in mitigation that Lee suffered from major depressive disorder that contributed to his offending behaviour. Thus, treatment should have been the primary focus for him.

“However, expert witnesses agreed that the disorder is not an impulse control disorder and that Lee had control over how he reacts even in stressful situations,” The Straits Times wrote.

ALSO READ: Managing director in Singapore jailed and fined

Despite being prepared to accept that Lee was suffering from some form of depressive disorder, district judge Lim Tse Haw noted that what the manager had done was serious.

Lim said: “As a responsible employer, he has a duty to have regard for the well-being and welfare of his employees. Instead, he subjected the victim to physical hurt and verbal abuse on numerous occasions from January to May of 2013.”

Unable to find sufficient cause to call for a mandatory treatment order report, Lim sentenced the manager to short detention order.

Agreeing with the prosecution, the judge said that employees – especially those in the lower rank positions – are vulnerable and need to be protected from violence or abuse by employers.

Lim noted that the hurt caused and abuse inflicted in this case were not isolated.

“It started on one occasion sometime between July 2010 and January 2011, and continued on another five occasions in 2013.”

“The abuse came to light only when a fellow intern secretly recorded the incident on May 15, 2013, using his mobile phone. The video showed Lee punching Chan.”